Innovative Confinement Concepts and Alternative Fusion Approaches
Between 1996 and 2000, the Fusion Energy Sciences Advisory Committee (FESAC) recommended a vigorous program in Innovative Confinement Concepts to explore several practical alternative paths to the mainline Magnetic Confinement and Inertial Confinement programs. It was never funded. After the U.S. joined the ITER program as a 9% partner, the ICC program was essentially dropped within the United States Department of Energy Office of Science.
US DOE Fusion Energy Sciences link
US DOE Fusion Energy Sciences link
Magnetized Target Inertial Fusion
- The Ignition Design Space of Magnetized Target Fusion Irvin Lindemuth Ph.D., Dec. 28, 2015
- Magneto Inertial Fusion Whitepaper 2014
- Sandia magnetized fusion technique produces significant results
- Why Magnetized Target Fusion Offers A Low-Cost Development Path for Fusion Energy Irvin R. Lindemuth, Ph.D., Richard E. Siemon, P h.D., Kurt F. Schoenberg, Ph.D.
- The Case for Magnetized Target Fusion (MTF) by Irvin R. Lindmuth, Ph.D.
- The fundamental parameter space of controlled thermonuclear fusion by Irvin R. Lindmuth, Ph.D.
- MagLIF with DT cryo layer could achieve ten thousand times net gain nuclear fusion and it would be very good for fusion space propulsion
- A Standoff Driver for Solid Implosion of Magnetized Target Plasma Y. C. Francis Thio DOE Office of Fusion Energy Sciences With inputs from Ian McNab, Jerry Parker, Francis Stefani, Dale Welch, David Wetz, Doug Witherspoon
- Magnetized Target Fusion Driven by Plasma LinersY C Francis Thio et al
Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion (PJMIF)
- Development of Practical Fusion Power; Plasma Jet Driven Magneto-Inertial Fusion
- PJMIF Concept Tutorial
- Plasma Liners and the Potential for a Standoff Magneto-Inertial Fusion Reactor
- Request for PJMIF Scientific Review
- Review of Plasma Jet Driven Magneto-Inertial Fusion and letter to Congress by Irv Lindemuth Ph.D.
- Review of Plasma Jet Driven Magneto-Inertial Fusion by John Santarius Ph.D.
- Next Big Future: PJMIF Article with USCL Link
- 2011 Presentation on PJMIF by Dr. Scott Hsu
- Supersonic Plasma Jet Driven MIF Fundamentals Y. C. Francis Thio, Ph.D.
- Status of the U. S. program in magneto-inertial fusion by Y.C. Francis Theo, Ph.D.
- Fusing Fusion Concepts: Plasma-Jet driven Magneto-Inertial Fusion (PJMIF) americansecurityproject.com, Dec. 2011
- Dr. Scott Hsu of Los Alamos National Laboratory Applying for ARPA-E funding for Fusion Energy Project
- Possible Energy Gain for a Plasma Liner-Driven Magneto-Inertial Fusion Concept
- 2005 DOE Award: A 200 km/s Plasma Accelerator for Magneto-Inertial Fusion and for Refueling Magnetic Fusion Energy Systems to HyperV
- Los Alamos among new DOE projects to create new technology pathways for low-cost fusion energy development
Inertial Electrostatic Confinement
- Jaeyoung Park Explains EMC2 Progress On Bussard Fusion
- Polywell Fusion: Electrostatic Fusion in a Magnetic Cusp A talk by Jaeyoung Park for Microsoft Research Visiting Speaker Series
- Dr. Robert Bussard Inertial Electrostatic Confinement Fusion lecture at Google Google Tech Talks, Nov 2006
- Dr. Robert Bussard June 6, 1995 letter to key U.S. Congressional Leaders
- Polywell, Boston, MA
- A Path to Electrostatic Nuclear Fusion Presented by EMC2 Chief Scientist Jaeyoung Park
- EMC2 presentation on Polywell-A Path to Electrostatic Fusion
- Polywell Fusion: Intriguing Alternative Aneutronic Fusion Power Generator
Magnetic Mirror Approach
Fusion Engine: Magneto-inertial fusion via non-destructive magnetic compression of a field-reversed configuration target (Helion)
Thermal Magnetic Confinement Axisymmetric Magnetic Cusp hybrid (Lockheed Martin)
- An Intensive Analysis of Lockheed-Martins’ Fusion Effort by by Matthew Moynihan, Ph.D.
- Lockeed-Martin Compact Fusion Fact Sheet Lockheed Martin
- The Lockheed-Martin Idea FuelRFuture
- Lockheed Martin claims to be “restarting the atomic age” with a compact fusion reactor AIP Scitation
- Skunk power creates confusion over nuclear fusion BBC
- Does Lockheed Martin Really Have a Breakthrough Fusion Machine? MIT Technology Review
- Are mini fusion power plants possible? Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics
- Scientists Skeptical of Lockheed’s Fusion Breakthrough Defense Tech
- Scientists Are Bashing Lockheed Martin’s Nuclear Fusion ‘Breakthrough’ Business Insider
- Lockheed Martin’s 100 MW Compact Fusion Nuclear Reactor IHS Global Spec
- Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project Reuters
Lockheed Martin claims nuclear fusion breakthrough Russia Today video
- Lockheed Martin patent applications:
Heating plasma for fusion power using magnetic field oscillation
Magnetic field plasma confinement for compact fusion power
Active cooling of structures immersed in plasma
Washington State University Dynomak Fusion Reactor
- Washington State University fusion reactor concept could be cheaper than coal
- Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal IEEE Spectrum
- Helicity Injected Torus Current Drive White Paper Culham Centre for Fusion Energy, UK
- High Yield Fusion in a Staged Z Pinch
- Reverse Colliding Bead Aneutronic Tri Alpha Energy, Inc.
- Controlled Fusion in a Field Reversed Configuration and Direct Energy Tri Alpha Energy, Inc.
- Hollywood, Silicon Valley and Russia Join Forces on Nuclear Fusion
- Mad Men’s Harry Hamlin on Tesla, Clean Energy
- Tri-Alpha structures in 12C by Henry R. Weller, Duke University and Triangle Universities Nuclear Laboratory
Shear flow stabilized Z-pinches
- Compact Approach to Fusion Energy with the Sheared Flow Stabilized Z-Pinch, Uri Shumlak, University of WA, Seattle & University of Michigan Institute for Plasma Science and Engineering
- Flow Z-Pinch Experiments U WA
- Academic scientific article on flow stabilized Z-Pinch
Inertial Shock Magnetized Target (General Fusion)
- Malaysian government invests in Burnaby fusion energy company
- Michel Laberge: How synchronized hammer strikes could generate nuclear fusion
- General Fusion, British Columbia, Canada
- D-D Fusion Neutrons from a Strong Spherical Shock Wave Focused on a Deuterium Bubble in Water by Dr. Michel Laberge
- Nuclear Fusion Within Reach Video of talk given by Michel Laberge
- XYLENE POWER LTD. PLASMA IMPACT FUSION By Charles Rhodes, P.Eng., Ph.D.
- Michael Delage and General Fusion at Future of Nuclear 2013
- Jeff Bezos Invests $19.5 Million in General Fusion’s Nuclear Technololgy
- NERSC Description of The LBNL Neutralized Drift Compression Experiment, NDCX-II
- Heavy Ion Fusion Science Virtual National Laboratory B. Grant Logan
- Heavy Ion Fusion White Paper FPC
- Heavy Ion Fusion Physics Today, C. Martin Stickley reprinted by FPC
- Practical Near-term Fusion Power Physics Today, Robert J. Burke, reprinted by FPC
- Heavy Ion Fusion Economics FPC
- Index of Heavy Ion Fusion Endorsements FPC
- Heavy Ion Solution presentation FPC